Toddler Desk and Chair
Being a parent is the most wonderful and also the toughest job in the world. Every little thing you do or let your kids do will directly affect their outlook and overall attitude as they grow older. The smallest things from their childhood will help them develop the right skills needed as an adult.
A part of it all is creating a safe haven for your children. The kids bedroom should be their own place, where they can do anything they could ever imagine. It is the parent’s job to make sure that their kid’s bedroom came straight out of the child’s dream, is comfortable, and is still safe that they can be left in there without supervision. A kids bedroom should allow for the child’s creativity to be honed. Here is where the furniture fits in.
You may think that you don’t have to get your child a special desk and chair set, and that the dining table or your living room’s center table will do. But having a chair and a table the size of your child is a significant element in their life. It gives the child the feeling of being a big person, that they have something that they own, and that their parents give them the freedom to be creative and do whatever they want on that table.
Let them be creative
If you want your kids to grow creative and innovative, give them as much freedom as they need to express that according to their own time and rules. Giving them their own table, as opposed to letting them draw, color, and create arts and crafts on the family dining table, makes them feel like they have a hold on their own time. Plus, you do not want all that glue, paint, and crayons to destroy a good dining table.
Let them jump and fall
Children will always be children. They love to run around, climb on table and chairs, and jump from “high” places. There is nothing you can do to stop them from eventually hurting themselves, but you can minimize the blow by letting them jump around and climb on a table and a chair their size and height. It’s not totally pain-free, but they, at least, are a lot safer. Try to get chairs and tables that will not trip over easily, and are stable enough to last for many years. This way, you don’t have to waste money buying a new set of table and chairs whenever it breaks from your kid’s shenanigans. Wooden kids chair and table sets now come with various fun designs like animal prints and shapes, and bean bag chairs.
Let them “be adults”
Another thing the kids love is imitating their parents and other adults around them. They like to “host tea parties” and attending to guests (their stuffed animals). Having a chair and table of their own completes the experience for them, and again, you do not have to sacrifice your newly finished dining table. And once they are at the age of having friends from school, tell them to invite their friends over for an afternoon of pastries and drinks using their desk and chair set.
Let them practice proper posture at an early age
Proper posture is hard to learn when you are already an adult. It is not very easy to break the habit of slouching. Start them young by telling them to sit up straight. But children can only practice proper back alignment while sitting down by using tables and chairs of their size. If they can’t see over the table, there is no way they can learn the right posture. Their feet need to be firmly planted on the floor in order for them to sit with their back straight. A toddler’s desk and chair set allows that.
Questions to ask when purchasing a toddler desk & chair
- How much am I willing to spend? The first thing you want to consider before getting a toddler desk & chair, just like with any purchase, is your budget. Do you want to splurge? Can you splurge? Or are you on a tight budget? This narrows down your choices so you have less items to choose from and it’s not as difficult to shop.
- What will the table be used for? Is it going to be used for arts and crafts? For games? For homework? Meals and snacks? Or all of the above? It’s important to know what your child wants to use it for so you know what you are looking for right off the bat.
- Do I want the table and chairs to match my decorating scheme? Determine whether you want your kids table and chairs to play as a part of your entire house decor or if it’s not a big deal for you.
- Do I want a basic, wooden table and chairs set or something more ornate? Before you answer this question, ask you child what they want. It is them that is going to use them after all. It will be safer to know if they have a preference before going out to buy a set.
- Where will I put the table and chairs? Before buying any piece of furniture, determine where you want to put it in your house so that you have estimated measurements in mind. You want to know how much space you can free up for the kids table and chairs so it doesn’t turn out to be too big to fit your house.
- Will this be used by one child or multiple children? Of course, you want to know whether you need a set with just one chair or multiple chairs included.
- How long do I want it to last? If you want the table and chair set to last a long time so that it can be used by your child for years (and so you can pass it on to other kids when no longer in use), choose a set made of wood. They are the most sturdy and they last for years and years.
- Where do I want to shop for it? You have two options in shopping: online or from physical stores. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but the most convenient would be to order online. In just a few clicks, you can purchase your table and chair set and have it delivered to your doorstep. However, the drawback is you wouldn’t know how the set actually looks like until you see it in person. Some photos online can be deceiving, so keep this in mind when shopping online.
The 5 Best Toddler Desk & Chair Sets
Now that you are convinced of the benefits of letting your kids own a desk and chair set, here are some of our recommendations to give you a starting point in your search.
Melissa & Doug Solid Wood Table and 2 Chairs Set
This cute toddler desk & chair set is made of high quality wood that makes sure it is sturdy and will last for a long time. You don’t have to worry about your kid/s breaking it. It is also strong enough to hold adults in case your child invites you to their tea party! It has a timeless natural finish that fits well with any home decor and scheme. It gives the vibe of coziness and comfort to any room, too.
Because of its smooth wooden finish, it is easy to wipe clean with either a dry or damp cleaning cloth. It is also very easy to construct with just a screwdriver, and once assembled, expect it to stay like that for a long, long time.
The two chairs that the desk comes with is 11 inches in height, perfect for kids aged 3 up to 8 years old.
Babyletto Lemonade Set
This set includes a play table and two stools. It comes with cute colors: Charcoal (black), Flamingo (pink), Marshmallow (white), Pineapple (yellow), and Strawberry (red). The stools in the set are backless, promoting the development of good posture in kids as young as 2-6 years old. The pieces are also stackable, so they are easy to store when not in use.
The table and chairs are made of steel, so they are sturdy and strong enough to last a long time. Your children can use it for years, and can even hold the weight of adults. The material is lead and phthalate safe and non-toxic to ensure your children’s safety from exposure to harmful chemicals. It’s easy to clean by just wiping with a cleaning cloth.
Since they come in child-friendly colors, you may want to keep the set in the kid’s playroom or bedroom instead of outside, because it might clash with your decor scheme. What’s good about this, though, is that it sure is going to be attractive to your kid.
Frozen Activity Table Set
This table and chair set inspired by the hit Disney animated movie Frozen is perfect for children who just cannot “Let It Go”. With Queen Elsa and Princess Anna’s faces smiling back at you, who wouldn’t want to spend a good day coloring your coloring books on this bright, adorable table set?
Aside from the very pretty design, the Frozen Activity Table Set has a heavy-duty vinyl coating that makes sure it stands up to scratching from repeated use. In spite of how pretty it looks, it is heavy and sturdy and can hold up to children from 2-6 years old. It is also very easy to clean with a cleaning cloth. The surface of the table is a little cushion-y, too, to ensure the safety of your children who like to move around.
However, since it is Frozen-themed, this may not be a table you want around in your living room or dining room, if that is a big deal to you. It is best kept in your child’s bedroom or playroom, and may just fit their decor perfectly if they are a huge Frozen fan.
Crayola Wooden Table and Chair Set
This set includes one wooden table and two chairs, shaped like Crayolas. If that doesn’t make your child like it, I don’t know what your child likes. What’s more, its surface is a dry erase top for children to draw and color to their heart’s desire. It is also convertible to a traditional chalkboard surface! Fitting for a Crayola-themed kids furniture set, isn’t it?
The table and chair set also includes four fabric compartments on each corner of the table for holding arts and crafts supplies and other stuff your child might want to store in there. On top of that, there are also organizers underneath the table for additional storage.
This is very easy to assemble, and easy to clean too. This is a great table and chair set for children aged 3 years old and up. As it is designed with a Crayola theme, this is best to reside in the kid’s playroom or bedroom.
Little Tikes Bright n Bold Table Chairs
This brightly colored set looks cute and durable too. Its small size is perfect for people who live in small spaces, and the chairs slide under the table perfectly, taking up as little space as possible.
While it is made of plastic, the table is sturdy and will not tip over no matter what – safe for your kid to climb over. It can even handle the weight of an adult. You don’t need to assemble the set because each piece comes as one molded piece of plastic.
What’s more is this is a lot cheaper than most toddler desk and chair sets. With its quality, it’s hard to believe how affordable this is!
Because of the bright colors, it might not blend in well with your house’s color scheme, but will provide a wonderful touch of bright green and blue.